Friday, April 08, 2022

On The Flip Side

This mattress was sagging under my weight, especially since I liked sitting on, resting my back and drinking tea or just working endlessly on the laptop. It was very comfortable to sit on it and work but due to this, for sleeping, the activity it was intended for, it became much less so. To address this, I tried putting the electric blanket on it. Not to heat it but to use its slightly hard and matted surface to ease out the spot that had sagged in under the weight of my bottoms. This was of some help but I was not happy about it, so I put a thick sheet on top and it became even better. Then one day I thought that I had had enough discomfort, so I flipped the mattress over. It was quite a task as it was quite heavy. I liked what I found; the underside was taut and hard. The first night was painful though. Those metal runners, while that gave it a rigid base we incredibly uncomfortable to sleep on. Especially so for me as I am a tummy sleeper and have a habit of losing the pillow as my sleep progresses. Those metal runners would hurt my face enough to disturb me throughout the night. The next day I put the electric blanket on it but if gave little respite and I slept like that for a few days till I thought I could make it a bit more comfortable. So I put the thick sheet on it and it became a more bearable. Then one day I crashed on the other bed in the adjoining room and I could not believe the comfort level I experienced on it. This was a bed whose mattress I thought was way worse than the one I slept on. I was even considering disposing it off! So the following day I flipped my mattress over, put the electric blanket and thick sheet and voila!...after days of discomfort, I slept like a baby on the very same arrangement that I could not sleep comfortably on at the start of it all.

No comments: