Monday, July 25, 2011

TT

I'd heard "Lies lies lies" by the Thompson Twins when I was a kid. It was in one of the two cassettes titled "Disco 83" and "Disco Festival 83". The beats were catchy except the queer way in which a girl laughs some where in the beginning of the song, something that my elder sister found hideous, I didn't mind it too much. I can't recall how many times I must have heard this song after I grew up, maybe once or twice on MTV rewind or a similar program on Channel [V] and that too must have been in the early 1990s. So it was definitely a surprise when I found myself sitting down on the internet a few days ago searching of the song on youtube. I didn't remember the name of the group that sang it and found that it was the Thompson Twins. This got me interested in knowing a little more about them. Enter Wikipedia; there were no twins in the Thompson Twins, in fact to my surprise this British group was named after the Thompson and Thompson of Tintin Comics. Wiki listed a number of member of the group but the primary three were Tom Bailey, Alannah Currie, Joe Leeway. The first was the lead singer, a Briton, the second a lady from New Zealand and the third was a guy with an Irish mother and a Nigerian father. The last explained the light-skinned Afro guy in the video. I read that they shot into fame with their two songs "lies, lies, lies". The group's history made for a great read on Wikipedia, especially the way in which Tom and Allanah got to know each other.

This got me curious about their other songs but the very first I heard hence got me seriously hooked to it, I loved it from the first beat. Another catchy techno number albeit a slow one unlike 'Lies, lies lies'

The lyrics are nice as well. Following are the lyrics with the link to the song in the end.


I have a picture,
pinned to my wall.
An image of you and of me and we're laughing and loving it all.
Look at our life now, tattered and torn.
We fuss and we fight and delight in the tears that we cry until dawn

Hold me now, warm my heart
stay with me, let loving start (let loving start)

You say I'm a dreamer, we're two of a kind
Both of us searching for some perfect world we know we'll never find
So perhaps I should leave here, yeah yeah go far away
But you know that theres no where that I'd rather be than with you here today

You ask if I love you, well what can I say?
You know that I do and if this is just one of those games that we play
So I'll sing you a new song, please don't cry anymore
and then I'll ask your forgiveness, though I don't know just what I'm asking it for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpZ9gEKBoYI

No comments: